Monday, January 14, 2008

you gotta love this life

i had a fantastic weekend

spent friday night with my friends
the cut-off
we're almost done with their amazing cd
worked on "dull to numb"
the last cut
then we went down to dada
at 1am
to see the chemistry set's last performance
steve and meri (my 2 ex-polaroids)
are leaving dallas too
said goodbye to ward williams thursday
so sad that this city wasn't able to keep
them here
they will both be sorely missed
not only by me
but by our entire music community
anyway
they were brilliant friday night
and their grand finale
when they went from "tyranny of the urgent"
into one of my favorite beatle
songs of all-time
"happiness is a warm gun"
was jaw-dropping

saturday i worked with the black tie dynasty
my first time ever
and i gotta say
i was blown away
these guys should be famous
their tunes are still swimming around in my head
and a nicer bunch of guys you will never find
we stopped at 7
then 45 minutes later i was at bend
for my show with chris holt
bobby g. from the flat people opened
he was stellar
vanessa p. and manuel next
they were superb too
i felt like a proud papa
'cause they all made their cds with me
then chris and i proceeded to have one of the best shows
we've ever had
it was almost sold out
which made us feel really good
and the audience was right there with us
the entire time
through every twist and turn
and D minor diminished
we laughed
some cried
they clapped their hands
sang along
smiled
we had an extended "1978"
with "sha-la-la-la's" over and over
from my audience back up singers
while i rambled on about daddies' deisel cadillac
and my algerian cousins
i was higher than a kite afterwards
drugs are for fools kids
try a slice of life
when it's as good as this
it'll get you hi, hi, hi

sunday morning
i got up and raced to get the taquitos
(not tequila)
and made it just in the nick of time
yes
they were fabulous
then i took G money to the grandparent's house
jayme and i spent the whole day working on my big
new year's project
the mother of all rock'n'roll memorabilia
scrapbooks
by taking all my articles
musical momentos
reviews
etc. that i've been throwing into this large
green box
for the past 4 years
and organizing them into something
that maybe my son can apreciate
years from now
we had fun
i felt like a kid
working on this silly project
we're still not done after 10 hours of work
but it's looking pretty sweet

at 7 i went and got G
then we went out to our favorite tex mex restaurant
chuy's
after a nice meal we did some late night kroger action
came home
put G to bed
then watched superbad
it was stoopid
but funny

i couldn't be happier
i love this life
i love jayme and gavin so much
i couldn't dream up a better one
than what i have now

i hope you all are doing ok too

love



s

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will never be able to eat taquitos again without thinking of you :)

michael

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I *think* I know all there is to know about your songs....I become involved in them so deeply again and something new emerges. THANK YOU.

Love,

Lisa

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home