Tuesday, April 29, 2008

human kindness

another birthday card
another candle on the cake
do i have the breath
to blow them all out this time?

i do because of you
my family
my friends
all the love i'm being sent
what did i do to deserve it?
most days i don't feel worthy
but i'm trying to do right by you
i want to give you music
that helps you
when you're feeling up
when your suffering
whenever you need it to be
whatever you need it to be
i'm filled up with life
hanging on as tight as i can
to the here and now
these beautiful perfect days
with jayme and G
i appreciate every second i have
with them

today i kicked the soccer ball to my son
the cool breeze blew through my hair
everything slowed down to almost a freeze frame
the sound of his laughter
and happy voice
blue sky
sun reigning down through the trees
i wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the universe
i wouldn't trade with a soul
not the richest
not the most powerful
not the most famous
or smartest
or best looking
or sharpest dressed
i am blessed with this wonderful life
the life i thought i'd never find
human kindness all around me

i know out there beyond this space i'm in
right now
there's unspeakable evil
my dear sweet friend carter ran into it
and it will always hurt
when i think of what happened to him
i can't let go of the pain
but i feel warm and safe here
in this soft existence of mine
every day like a dream

at least for now


wishing you all love


s

4 Comments:

Blogger Ron said...

s,
Your post is beautiful. I'm deeply touched, and ever so happy for you, that you feel the way you do. You're happy. And you're happy with now, who you are, where you are. Could there be a better state of being, a better gift? And I know of no one who deserves it more. There could only one Salim, and we who know you are the ones truly blessed.
love always,
r

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your offerings to the world are a holy gift. Never doubt that you are worthy and loved. Entirely.


Lisa

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

believe that you deserve every kindness

carla

3:00 PM  
Blogger paula said...

I literally stumbled upon your blog. I have a little extra quiet time these days.
Anyway, I hope you had a great birthday! I remember a while ago celebrating your birthday at Barley House (I believe that's where it was, maybe my memory is a tad sketchy). We had just had Emma and Jayme was pregnant with Gavin.
Hope all is well with ya'll. I'll see Jayme soon for some much needed pictures.

Paula

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home