Monday, January 01, 2007

2006 is history now

i've been sick
spent the last 24 hours in bed
with a fever
not much of a new year celebration

so many things happened this past year
i'm already having trouble remembering it all
i'm going to skim over a few of the things
that were important to me
so that at the end of next year
when it's all REALLY hazy
and i've completely forgotten '06
i can come back and look at this to remind myself
what happened

in january
i finished working on the jayson bales
and dave little cds
february
i started work on my next record
my telefunken 251 super mic finally arrived
sorta recorded 3 songs at PL
march
SXSW in austin
with L and L
best one i've ever had
capped off with a great show with the noise on the 18th
april
played the granada with centro-matic
it was the last time i saw anju gill
who took her own life 2 days later
beautiful noise was re-released in europe by tapete
five days later
overshadowed by grieving for anju
may
my father had a stroke 2 days after my birthday
at least he survived
5 days after that
the dallas observer music awards
i won 3
it was a shock
jayme's 1st operation of the year was a week later
the polaroids and i played our last show together
at club dada
on 5/20
no one knew it at the time
june
i started my blog
jayme had surgery on her neck
i played anju's dream bill at bend on 6/24
while jayme was still in the hospital
july
decided to take a break from shows with the noise
we said goodbye on 7/1
at the granada
i saw ray davies later that month
and hung out with bucks and the church
finished work on the binary sunrise and vanessa peters cds
august
johnny lloyd rollins came to pleasantry
september
jayme gavin and i spent 2 and 1/2 weeks
driving around germany and switzerland
while i played acoustic shows
october
finished working on jd whittenburg's cd
november
finished the falling of john kenny
december
art conspiracy 2 at the longhorn ballroom
dallas music revue at sons
pleasantry lane cd was finally released
and i played a year ending show at the granada
which my mom attended (only the 2nd in 20 years)
i finished working on the last ones on earth
scott blasey
and daniel miller cds

after running through all of that
i guess '06 was busy
lots of running around
"doing things"
it was a good year for me
i think i may have done some of my best work
but it was a tough year too
jayme had 2 operations
we lost anju
life is never cushy
is it?

i'll fondly remember you '06
we had lots of good times under your watch
i'll be seeing you again
in dreams and photos

hasta la vista baby!!!

love

s

p.s. wishing all of you a very happy '07

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very sad that Lousy Robot wasnt in the studio for 2006. We are hoping that we might be able to make a return in 2007 though.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Centuryhouse said...

Best wishes for you, Jayme & G-man in 2007...

9:23 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Peters said...

I hope 2007 is a great year for you guys! thanks for all the hard work you did for me in 2006. :)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Greg Barton said...

You know, I still wonder why she had to do it, even now, years later.

There so many people at her funeral. So many people cared for her. How could someone be in such a pit of despair when so many care?

But I knew. When I got the e-mail from her mom I instantly knew.

"Greg i want you know that anju passed away today."

I have a wife and daughter now. Would she have wanted that life? I thought so at the time, but she pushed me out. And, selfish as it may sound, I'm finally at peace with one feeling I had when she left us: there's probably nothing I could have done, even if we'd stayed together. I would have come home to find her lifeless on the bed. And if we'd had children they'd be motherless. Maybe she knew that. Maybe that's why she shut me out. Who knows? A tragedy still, to this day.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home