Tuesday, July 21, 2009

i was going to go
i was dressed
and ready
but then i felt that all too familiar tug
why am i leaving my beautiful family?
whom i'd barely seen all day
to go stand around waiting
for my ego to get stroked
maybe i could just stay home?
that felt like the better idea to me
so i did...
we went for a walk
i held my son's little hand
then we took him to look at toys
and to Premiere
to rent "Madagascar"
we took the video home
had some cupcakes
then piled into bed and watched the movie
he loved it
around 9 i got a text from ND saying that i'd won
best producer
it felt nice
i hope nobody at the Granada thought i didn't appreciate winning
that the honor of being recognized by my peers for doing good work
didn't mean anything to me because i wasn't there to accept the award
in fact the opposite is true
it means a lot to me
i'm grateful everyday for the recent success that i've had
after 20 years of trying
and failing
i have an incredible job
i'm very thankful i get to do what i love
i get to make music day in and day out with talented
creative, humble, kind people
most of whom end up becoming my friends
(if we weren't already that when we started working together)
to be recognized in this way by the Dallas Observer
and by this fantastic (and underrated) music scene of ours
is a huge honor
and i don't take it lightly
so THANK YOU again for this award
and to every single person who sent it my way
it feels really nice...
i simply wanted to be two places at once tonight
but the clone machine malfunctioned
and home won out
i have a five year old who won't be five much longer
i didn't want to miss another night...

4 Comments:

Blogger Carissa Byers said...

Congratulations! You deserve it.

And those Madagascar penguins crack me up.

10:52 PM  
Blogger bill h said...

good choice man. there will be other awards, but your son will only be a child once.

I regret every occasion I wasn't there for my boys because of some event or other.

Congrats btw,

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're the Best Producer and the Best Dad!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Congrats on both winning best producer (is there ever any doubt), and on having an awesome time with G.

This was one of your more touching posts. I'm not sure exactly why.

Life is good.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home