Monday, September 03, 2007

carter

we're all just barely here

my friend carter albrecht is gone
just like that
murdered this morning
i'm never gonna see him again
he walked out of my studio wednesday night
like so many other times before
"see you later man - have fun in europe"
as we exchanged nonchalant goodbyes
never in my wildest dreams
would i have thought that was the last time
i would ever see him
i am in complete and total disbelief
i am heartbroken

i've known carter for over 10 years
he played on each one of my records
he was always there when i called
to come over and scatter brilliance throughout any song he touched
he played on countless recordings that i've made here at pleasantry lane
he was a cornerstone of our music community
we were working on his first solo album
it's one of the best things i've ever been invovled with
i had to pinch myself every time he played a new song
they were all so good

music wasn't something carter did

it was in his soul

i'm sick to my stomach that he wasn't able to finish his record
that the rest of the world will never know of his brilliance
he was one of the most talented musicians i've ever been around
a beautiful kind person
consumed by music
it poured out of every part of his being
he was an amazing guitarist
pianist
singer
writer
james dean cool with the passion of joe strummer
and funny too
he was loved by so many
he was truly one of a kind
his senseless death
is a devasting loss for the dallas music community
my heart goes out to his parents and family
and to all who loved him

it will never be the same here without him

good bye, carter



i love you




s










4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Salim, I just learned about this travesty a few hours ago and thought of you. My heart goes out to all who knew him...I feel fortunate that I was among the many able to experience such a talented person during his short 'gone to soon' life. I did not know him personally, but can only imagine the loss you, his family, and many friends must be feeling. Please know that you are in my thoughts and hope you take some comfort in all the memories you have and the time you shared.

6:20 PM  
Blogger KatieMac said...

Salim,
If you can, please finish Carter's album. I don't know how far you were with him on it, but if he'd want anyone to put it to rights, it would be you. The songs were wonderful, it's more the tragedy that they would never be heard, as we'll never hear Carter again. It's so unbelievable. There just aren't words...

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I consider the incident to have been tragic, and regret Mr. Albrecht's death as an untimely one, to refer to it as a "murder" is not only factually inaccurate, but it grossly unfair to the man who was only attempting to defend his home against what he quite reasonably thought was a violent intruder (and Albrecht's treatment of his own girlfriend earlier that evening certainly backs up the "violent" characterization.)

I understand your sense of loss, but one should still be wary of so casually tossing around terms like "murder" when they are not applicable.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I didn't think you'd have the balls or the integrity to post an honest and factually accurate comment from someone else. I was right.

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home